The six points outlined here will provide some insight into this Ancient Healing Art. Learn what makes Nuad Thai so unique. Thailand, located between India and China, where two ancient healing modalities originate from, Yoga and Acupressure. Thai massage seamlessly combines these modalities into a rhythmic dance that is beneficial for both practitioner and receiver. *Although Thai Massage is usually a full-body treatment, many places will offer massages on specific areas like feet, hands, head, neck, & shoulders.*
- Originating in India, this system of health stretches the body, mind and spirit. Practitioners of Thai Massage may adopt a yogic practice to stretch and strengthen themselves in preparation to giving. A regular Yoga practice will also help familiarize a practitioner with the endless positions used in Nuad Thai Massage. Northern Style (Nuad Bo-Rarn or Nuad Thai) massage is more heavily influenced by yoga than the Southern (Bangkok) Style because of its proximity to India.
- Sen Energy Lines are to Thai Massage as Meridian Lines to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). These energy lines travel through your body. When they are in balance and flowing, a person may feel energetic, happy and balanced, when they are out of balance or blocked, a person may feel pain, restlessness, irritation, etc. Receiving a Thai Massage will stretch and stimulate these Sen Lines to promote balance and relaxation allowing energy to move with ease.
- Thai massage may be viewed as a meditation in many ways. For example, Nuad Thai can easily be a moving meditation, flowing into and out of positions in a rhythmic fashion or a breathing mediation as each motion pairs with an in-breath or out-breath. As a practitioner, we provide our clients with undivided attention with intentions to provide the greatest healing, this undivided attention is also a practice in meditation. With a calm, clear mind and smooth, rhythmic movements we are able to provide our clients a space to relax in their own mediation.
- Although Nuad Thai is referred to as "Yoga for lazy people," the client is still an active participant in the session. With every movement, clients stretch deeper and twist further. As practitioners, we receive the benefits of stretching at the same time as our clients; when one person receives a stretch, the other receives the opposite stretch. This is one reason this modality is said to be "mutually beneficial." The more one practices, the stronger and more flexible they will become.
- Similar to TCM, Nuad Thai incorporates foot, hand, ear, and face reflexology. In theory, reflex points on the aforementioned areas can be worked to stimulate other parts of the body, most commonly reflex points refer to internal organs. By using this theory, practitioners stimulate body, mind, and spirit.
6) Healing Art
- The combination of 1 - 5 make Nuad Thai a unique form of bodywork. Thai Massage relies more on "feeling" than "doing" and can easily be considered more of an art than a therapy. As one continues to do this style of work, the more it becomes a dance, a work of love.